Picture lights are typically wall-mounted fixtures created to beautifully illuminate individual artworks. Characteristically used with very low-wattage lamps, they provide a relationship with a piece of art, as well as allowing you to view details of the work up close and personal. In addition to their obvious function, picture lights are also decorative fixtures. On Louie Lighting, you’ll find a great selection of attractive and subtle picture lights to choose from. Line voltage and low voltage options, fixtures that mount directly to the painting’s frame, track lights, as well as energy saving fixtures are all available.
More on Choosing Picture Lights
• Since UV light can damage artwork over time, you’ll want to choose an LED fixture. LEDs emit little to no ultraviolet light or heat and are optimal for picture lighting.
• Halogen lights are perfect for sculptures. While you may also use halogen lamps to illuminate your paintings and other sensitive work, in order to minimize damage, keep halogen lamps a safe distance from artworks. Place a UV filter on the lens, or purchase lamps that are UV protected.
• Many options of picture lights are dimmable and are compatible with standard dimmer switches, which are also available on our site.
• Some spot lights designed for artwork such as the Little Wonder by Tech Lighting can be wall-mounted or placed on the floor with the beam directed specifically onto an object.
• Track-lighting systems have a clean, minimalist look that works well when displaying art objects. Track lights perform largely the same as ceiling-mounted accent lights, but are easier to install and offer future flexibility.
• Ceiling-mounted lights should be placed so that the light beam hits the center of the artwork when the head is adjusted to a 30-degree angle. When adjusted lower such as 10 degrees, long, unattractive shadows may be cast below the frame. Go back too far -45 degrees, and you’ll get reflective glare.
• Some lights are equipped with a transformer and canopy so that the purchase of these accessories is unnecessary. Please read the description of the item’s details to be sure or call us at 1877 385 2104 for help.
Remember, longevity is paramount when displaying artwork. Be sure that your investment last a lifetime by choosing the right lighting today.